Are you facing the challenge of creating a new living space with limited room for furniture, accessories, clothes and collectibles? Is the new home you are moving into significantly smaller than the home you are moving from? Well, this is not necessarily a negative thing. Downsizing gives you the perfect chance to get rid of clutter and streamline your home and lifestyle. With that said, here are six tips for organizing and/or downsizing your life to live comfortably in a cozier space.
· Plan ahead: Make sure that the entire family is on board with the changes that will be involved in moving to smaller home. You move will be easier and much more organized if you do.
· Calculate the total space of your new home: You will need to know how much space there is in your new home before you can get an idea of what you will be able to bring with you from your old home. When you do begin making your calculations, don’t forget areas of your new home such as the attic, basement, etc.
· Measure your old furniture: Obviously, you will need to know if your old furniture will fit into your new home. Once you have your furniture’s measurements don’t forget to make a floor plan. There are software programs available that can help you do this with a high degree of accuracy.
· Minimize duplicate items: Go through your belongings and carefully sort of any duplicate items. The kitchen in particular is a place where duplicate items can often be found. If you don’t need multiple toasters and other kitchenware, consider selling or giving those things away.
· Sell your stuff: If you’re in need of some pre-move money - and who isn’t? - then holding a moving or garage sale is the perfect way to raise funds and decrease the number of things you will have to move into your new home.
· Place items into storage: Have items that won’t fit into your new home but do not wish to either sell, donate or throw away? Place these items into storage until you decide what you will do with them. This will help you to reduce the clutter in your smaller home.
The good news is that once you have done all these things you will no longer have to worry about maintaining a home that is too big for your needs. Downsizing to a smaller home means saving a lot of things – time, money, space. Our moving company in Houston, Texas can help you with your move and with items you may wish to store. We are a reliable local moving company in Houston, Texas that you can depend on whether you are planning a residential or commercial move.